These gifts are not earned, based on your “goodness” or you somehow deserving them; they are simply a present to you from God for His purposes! He wants you to use them for His glory.
Ephesians 4:8 (NLT) says, “That is why the Scriptures say, “When he ascended to the heights, he led a crowd of captives and gave gifts to his people.”
A list of these spiritual gifts are found in the Bible in:
- Mercy (Compassion)
1 Corinthians 1-28
- Discerning of spirits
- Speaking in tongues
- Interpretation of tongues
- Working of miracles
The role of the leadership is to equip, which includes…
- discern Holy Spirit direction and influence the Body to follow Him
- identify gifts appropriately
- equip persons in their gifts (qualify, encourage, hold accountable, release, resource)
- create a culture that enables gifts to be discovered and empowered
- direct people to engage their gifts according to God’s will so that His purposes are fulfilled and He is glorified.
- lay foundations
- cast big-picture vision
- nurture and protect unity and real community
- oversee the health of congregations.
- proclaim the gospel to the lost
- make disciples of Jesus, not just converts.
- ensure the holiness of the church
- listen for the voice of God and submit their words to prophets/leadership
Pastors and Teachers
- Tend/shepherd the sheep
- Feed the sheep
The book of Ephesians makes an excellent study on the spiritual gifts and the structure of the church in the New Testament.
One of my passions is exhorting Christian women to discover and use the gifts God has given them to become all that God has created them to be and to fulfill their destiny.
I encourage you to find a Bible-teaching church whose leadership believes in and utilizes people’s gifts. Your church may have a test or tests that you can take to help you find out what your spiritual gifts are, so that you can begin learning about and operating in your areas of gifting in the local body.
Remember that the gifts aren’t just for inside the four walls of the church! If you study the gospels, you will see Jesus and the disciples using the spiritual gifts everywhere they went! God wants His church to be without walls, to the ends of the earth! Find out if your church offers tests for and training in the spiritual gifts.
You can also take tests online to help you discover your spiritual gifts. Here are some links that I recommend for you:
Spiritual Gifts Tests:
If you’d like to find out more info about the spiritual gifts, be sure to sign up for my bi-monthly ezine here at www.BethJones.net, where you’ll be first to hear about my newest blog posts, ebooks, books, audios, webinars, telecalls, workshops, and live events on this topic.
Please let me know if you have found these resources to be helpful or if you would like more information on the spiritual gifts by emailing me at email@example.com.
Prayer for you:
Ephesians 3:19 (Amplified):
[That you may really come] to know [practically, through experience for yourselves] the love of Christ, which far surpasses mere knowledge [without experience]; that you may be filled [through all your being] unto all the fullness of God [may have the richest measure of the divine Presence, and become a body wholly filled and flooded with God Himself]!