This week I shared at my new website that our oldest daughter Heather and her family were at the beach in Florida and were planning to return home on Christmas Eve. But it’s supposed to get down to the 20’s tonight here in Missouri, and weather forecasters are predicting snow and sleet Thursday, so tonight they left Florida to head back to Alabama. They then leave early tomorrow morning to arrive here hopefully by tomorrow night by about 8 p.m. Please keep them in your prayers!
This meant, of course, that their beach trip was cut short, even though it’s warm there. Today it was in the 70’s in Destin, Florida. Heather’s husband Kyle and their two daughters have never seen the ocean before, and they LOVED it. The girls had a lot of fun digging in the sand with their new pail and shovel, and collecting shells. They also went to the Gulfarium, and saw dolphins, stingrays, sea lions, urchins, and other marine life.
Heather, Kyle’s mom, and the girls went shopping yesterday while Kyle, Becky’s husband, and their two sons Noah and Ryan went to visit battleships. Last night they drove to Alabama to see special Christmas lights in Alabama. Today they all enjoyed a seafood lunch by the beach in Destin.
But they would have liked to stay the entire time. It was disappointing for them. Sometimes we get unexpected news for us, our family, or friends. The news can be bad, such as:
- bad weather for driving home to Missouri
- a doctor’s negative medical report
- our house is foreclosing
- your spouse lost his or her job
- your grade on your test was lower than you thought
- your husband or your wife has had an affair
- you owe taxes again this year
- your close relative had a traumatic accident
- you need surgery
- your child is pregnant – out of wedlock
- someone wrecked your car
- someone you love was arrested for criminal activity
- your husband, your son, or your daughter is being sent to a war zone
- your husband, your son, or your daughter is not coming home from the war – ever.
Sometimes the unexpected news is good, though!
- you got a raise and a promotion – far more than you’d hoped!
- you traded your lemon car in for a newer, great car
- you made all A’s in your college classes – again
- you won a year’s worth of Starbucks coffee free
- you’re having a baby – in your 40’s!
- your husband or your wife gives you a Christmas card, telling you a trip to Ireland is booked for you two
- your child won first place in a sporting event
- you won first place in a sporting event!
- you get a check in the mail instead of bills – on an ordinary day
- you’ve lost a dress size when you go shopping
- you are invited to speak somewhere – a place of great honor
- you sold a lot more books than you ever thought possible
- your wildest dream comes true – sooner than you hoped!
- the child you are adopting will be home from China for Christmas!
Whether the unexpected news is good or bad, we can have confidence that no matter what, God is in charge and He is watching out for us always. Nothing shakes Him up. He’s got it under control! We can put our lives into His hands and trust Him…sleet or snow, lack or abundance, good times or sad. He is the LORD. We are under the shadow of His wings. (Psalm 91)
Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever. (Psalm 125: 1)