This week I’ve been attending Chandler Bolt’s online Self Publishing Success Summit, with 37 speakers on the topics of writing, marketing, and publishing your book. It has been excellent training, and I’m learning so much. I have only been able to catch a few of the replays, but the ones I’ve watched are so inspiring.
Some takeaways I’ve had with self-publishing your book/eBook on Kindle for Amazon (some of these I already knew):
- Know your audience and what they really want-you can find this out by asking your subscribers in your ezine, through a survey, or by studying Facebook analytics;
- Offer value, such as a permafree ebook or your reader lead (freebie at your website in exchange for their name and email address) and valuable content with your ezine;
- Create a series on Amazon, because series do great and Amazon begins promoting them for you if the book does well;
- What are your competitors offering on Amazon and at what price;
- Make all you do align with your mission;
- Have a specific, laid out marketing plan;
- Get beta readers for reviews before your book launches (reviews and endorsements from influencers are great);
- Think outside the box and offer something unique;
- Create Facebook targeted ads (even $5 a day ads) to get the word out and to build your subscriber list;
- Repurpose your content into videos, podcasts, webinars, teleseminars, self-study courses-think beyond the book (It’s a business, not a book!);
- Make your larger eBook into smaller Kindle eBooks;
- Love what you do;
- and much more.
I believe that we should be life-long learners, learning something new every day. I personally find learning FUN. Some of the guests that Chandler has interviewed have included speakers/authors/entrepreneurs I already follow, such as Best Selling Author Jeff Goins, Joanna Penn of The Creative Penn (I don’t read her fiction books, but she has a lot of wisdom about being a successful author), and Entrepreneur on Fire podcaster John Lee Dumas.
The summit is timely, as I just released my first ever fiction book, Storm Tossed, which became an Amazon Best Seller the first day in its category and sub-categories. I’ve been surprised and so encouraged to see 5-star and 4-star reviews about it. You can check it out for your Kindle at Amazon here. The price right now is just $2.99.
Our daughter Leah and I are reading a great book right now called Start: Punch Fear in the Face, Escape Average, and Do Work That Matters by Jon Acuff. In today’s reading, Jon shares about starting out his public speaking career by speaking to only 12 people at a rehab center (not, as Jon says, the place someone typically aspires to speak at, to those who are in one of the worst seasons of their lives, and having to speak for free), and by joining finance whiz Dave Ramsey‘s team versus being on his own.
Why did he speak at the rehab center? Why does he want to learn from Dave Ramsey?
“Because I want to be led. I want to learn from a master. I want to admit time and time again, “I don’t know the best way to do this. Will you teach me?”
Jon encourages you and me: “Be led. Be taught. Remain a learner.”
I desire for God to lead me in this exciting, and unpredictable and challenging, journey called life. I want Jesus and other smart, successful people to teach me what I need to know. I want to learn new things.
What about you? What are you learning lately? Leave your comments below.